The Channing Memorial Church Social Action Committee meets on the third Tuesday of every month (with the exception of July) at 7PM in the Channing House Library. All members and friends of the church are welcome to attend. For more information, contact the committee chair at socialaction@channingchurch.org or call the church office at (401) 846-0643.


Friday, December 11, 2009

From Standing on the Side of Love

At its best, this is a season of generosity, peace, and most of all, love. It is a time to reconnect with our loved ones and strengthen our communities' bonds. From the Thanksgiving table to the final seconds of 2009, we are expected to treat our neighbors with the utmost respect and love. Thankfully, this time around, the season of love does not have to end on January 1st.

On February 14th, we will reimagine Valentine's Day by celebrating National Standing on the Side of Love Day. Congregations across the nation will participate in a day of worship and practice works of love.


National Standing on the Side of Love Day empowers each congregation to take action on issues that matter locally, and to pursue strategies that are effective and meaningful to each. We also ask for three simple things from you. Take a picture of you standing on the side of love, send us the picture, and take a collection to provide this campaign with essential resources to effect positive social change and justice in your community.

I know this is a busy season, so I thought I'd give you a heads up about Valentine's Day Reimagined before December flies by. In the weeks ahead, I have two office parties, a Hanukkah party, and then I'm off to Minnesota to spend solstice and Christmas with my fiancé's family. As I remember the many blessings in my life during this season, the privilege of managing this remarkable campaign and working with all of you will be at the top of my list (and I'll be checking it twice).


Love,

Adam